BY KATIE COLANERI
The attorney for Monsignor William Lynn — the first Roman Catholic Church official in the country to be convicted for mishandling allegations of clergy sex abuse — is hitting “pause” on his plans to seek Lynn’s early release.
The Philadelphia district attorney’s office is asking the state appellate court that last week overturned Lynn’s conviction to reconsider that decision.
At a news conference Monday, District Attorney Seth Williams said his priority is making sure the landmark conviction remains in place.
“If necessary we will … have another trial,” Williams said. “But we hope it doesn’t get to that.
“We’d like to spare the victim from having to come back to court and all of the witnesses from having to testify and be revictimized by having to share such personal stories,” he said.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.