Updated: Aug 28, 2016
By Krystal Paco
During a press conference this afternoon, Concerned Catholics of Guam Vice President Andrew Camacho said that in his opinion the Redemptoris Mater Seminary in Yona is a sham, “the beauty of its exterior masks an empty shell. This seminary should be shut down,” he said.
Camacho cited a comparison between the functions of the RMS to that of the St. Patrick’s Seminary in California.
He noted the following deficiencies at RMS:
– Lack of strict requirements for admittance to the program
– Lack of true vetting process for students
– Poor quality of the faculty to teach courses
– Poor quality of the permanent and visiting faculty
– The sole focus on the Neocatechumenal Way
– Priests who do not serve the faithful in Guam
– The high cost of running the RMS (approximately $200,000 comes from the archdiocese of Agana according to the CCOG)
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.