Harriet Sherwood Religion correspondent
Friday 30 September 2016
Two high-profile survivors of sexual abuse in the Church of England are to mount a protest during the enthronement of the bishop of Oxford in response to what they claim is the church’s failure to act on their disclosures.
Michael (not his real name), an ordained C of E priest, made a formal complaint of misconduct earlier this year against Steven Croft, the new bishop, claiming that he failed to properly respond to accusations of rapes allegedly committed by a serving priest in 1984.
Similar complaints of misconduct were lodged against John Sentamu, the archbishop of York, and three other serving bishops.
The C of E has rejected the complaints because they were made after a one-year time limit set by the church.
Michael claims that he told Croft – then bishop of Sheffield – about the alleged rapes in December 2012 and again in February 2013. Croft failed to act on the disclosures, Michael says.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.