The London diocese has settled lawsuits from three victims of an accused pedophile priest who died before facing justice in a criminal trial.
Lawyer Robert Talach said the three victims of Linus Bastien settled for a total of less then $400,000, but the money wasn’t the point for them.
“Beyond the money they got acknowledgment and they got confirmation that the evidence overwhelmingly leads to the conclusion that Bastien did this,” said Talach, with Beckett Personal Injury Lawyers in London. “Just because the criminal part didn’t get to the end of the road, I think what this process allowed is these guys got acknowledgment that there’s no doubt in either side’s mind here that Bastien did what they say he did.”
The London diocese couldn’t be reached for comment Sunday night.
The three victims were altar boys in their early teens at St. Paul Parish in LaSalle when they were allegedly abused in the 1970s. The lawsuits were settled last week. Beckett Personal Injury Lawyers has another five lawsuits from Bastien victims that are still ongoing.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.