March 20, 2018
By Ed Reilly
The Catholic Diocese of Buffalo released the names of 42 diocesan priests accused of sexually abusing a child. It includes priests who have died, were removed or retired, or left the ministry after the allegations.
However, a local survivor, Tom Travers, who operates a support group for priest child sex abuse victims, called “William’s Place,” wonders why the list is missing the names of his abuser and others he has heard from victims that he works with.
The Diocese said the list does not include non-diocesan priests (such as priests from other religious orders who worked in the Buffalo Diocese) or deceased priests who had only one allegation of abuse. When asked if there are other priests currently under investigation whose names are not on the list, a diocesan spokesman said there was “no comment at this time.”
7 Eyewitness News Reporter Ed Reilly spoke with Tom Travers. Travers has been notified that he is eligible to file a claim under a compensation program set up by the diocese for sex abuse victims. As a young altar boy in the mid-1970’s, Travers said he was abused by a priest at Nativity of Our Lord Parish in Orchard Park.
The diocese previously declined to confirm or deny to 7 Eyewitness News if Travers’ abuser, who has since died, was under investigation.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.