Dallas Morning News
February 1, 2019
By David Tarrant
The Dallas Catholic Diocese on Thursday joined Catholic leaders across Texas in releasing the names of nearly 300 clergy members who have been “credibly accused” of sexual abuse of children over the last seven decades.
The Dallas diocese said its list of 31 — which was met with skepticism from victims’ advocates — includes those accused of sexual abuse of a minor since 1950 and does not constitute a determination of guilt. Seventeen of the people on the list are dead. Five had been convicted in court. Four of the living had already been “laicized,” or removed from the clergy.
During an afternoon news conference at the diocese headquarters, Dallas Bishop Edward J. Burns said Thursday was “a difficult day for the church in the state of Texas and for the Diocese of Dallas.”
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.