March 28, 2019
By Nikki McGee
The bishop of the Diocese of Springfield is now speaking out for the first time after a report accused 23 clergymen of sexual abuse.
The report was released last week and included the names and histories of hundreds of clergy accused of sexual abuse within the Catholic church.
“We’ve chosen to reveal this information because the Catholic bishops and the religious orders who are in charge and have this information and hold it secret have chosen to conceal it,” Author Jeff Anderson said.
The Diocese of Springfield calls the report “highly misleading” and “irresponsible” and said the information is not new, as those on the list have already been publicly accused.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.