May 29, 2019
By Rebecca Turner and David Weber
A former teacher at a prestigious Perth Catholic boys’ school plans to fight a charge of failing to report the alleged sexual assault of a boy by his fellow students on an overseas trip.
Ian Francis Hailes and his former colleague at Trinity College, Anthony Paul Webb, were each charged under mandatory reporting laws which were introduced in Western Australia in 2008.
Their charges relate to the alleged sexual assault of a young man by his fellow students while they were on an overseas rugby trip in 2017.
The alleged victim’s mother told the ABC that it took five months for the incident to be reported to the school principal.
But she said the school took another six days to tell her that her son had been sexually assaulted.
Do you know more about this story? Email email@example.com
Mr Hailes did not attend the Perth Magistrates Court today but his lawyer, Michael Tudori, said he wanted to change his endorsed plea of guilty, entered several weeks ago, to not guilty.
Outside court, Mr Tudori said Mr Hailes had changed his plea due to new information from the prosecution.
“As a result of that, he clearly has a defence now,” he said.
Mr Webb has not entered a plea to the charge of failing to report suspected child sexual abuse and is scheduled to appear before the Perth Magistrates Court next month.
No other charges have been laid as a result of the alleged incident.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.