NEW YORK (NY)
City University of New York (CUNY) and Associated Press
Event: Tuesday, December 3, 2019
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM EST
Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY
219 W 40th St, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10018
It has been 17 years since the Catholic Church vowed to end the scourge of sexual abuse by clergy and to take responsibility for the suffering it has caused. In an Associated Press series called “The Reckoning” and in this panel we examine the state of the clergy abuse crisis today and the effectiveness of the measures the church has taken.
Moderator: David Gibson, director, Fordham University’s Center on Religion and Culture
– Michael Rezendes, AP investigative reporter and former member of the Boston Globe Spotlight team
– Nicole Winfield, AP Vatican correspondent
– Juan Carlos Cruz, Chilean abuse survivor
– Robert S. Bennett, former federal prosecutor and former member of the National Review Board for the Protection of Children & Minors established by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
– Edward T. Mechmann, director of Safe Environment Program, Archdiocese of New York
The event will feature photographs by AP photojournalists
Maye-E Wong and David Goldman.