June 18, 2020
Former Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey, has had his permission to officiate as a priest revoked.
The Church of England said new evidence linking Lord Carey, 84, to a review into allegations of abuse against the late John Smyth, had emerged.
There are no claims of abuse against him, and in a statement he said he was “dismayed” by the revocation.
Mr Smyth was accused of attacking boys whom he had met at a Dorset Christian camp in the 1970s and 1980s.
The independent inquiry was launched into the Church’s handling of allegations against Mr Smyth, a barrister who died aged 77 last year.
Permission to Officiate (PTO) is required for any Church of England priest to preach or minister.
In a statement Lord Carey said: “I am bewildered and dismayed to receive the news a short time ago that due to ‘concerns’ being raised during the review of John Smyth QC I have had my PTO revoked.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.