THE KIMBERLEY (AUSTRALIA)
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
July 4, 2020
By Erin Parke
– Documents show the Catholic Church was told of sexual misconduct allegations against Broome Bishop Christopher Saunders as early as April 2019
– The Bishop voluntarily stood aside in March this year, with separate investigations by WA Police and the Vatican still ongoing
– The Bishop’s continued presence in the Kimberley has sparked a further complaint to Church authorities
The Catholic Church was told of sexual misconduct allegations against a Western Australian bishop nearly a year before it took action, according to new documents obtained by the ABC.
Bishop Christopher Saunders, who has overseen the vast Diocese of Broome for 25 years, remains voluntarily stood aside amidst an ongoing WA Police investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct.
No charges have been laid and Bishop Saunders has previously denied all accusations of inappropriate behaviour.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.