July 21, 2020
By: Anthony Reyes
St. Bonaventure NY – Bonaventure University announced it has removed the name from the university’s administration building after discovering it was named after a priest who was credibly accused of child sexual abuse.
Hopkins Hall, which houses university administrators and financial aid staff, was built in 1964 and named after Msgr. James F. Hopkins, a priest in Pennsylvania who died in 1957.
This spring, Sean Mickey, a reporter for The Bona Venture student newspaper, discovered last year’s Pennsylvania grand jury report detailed an allegation that Hopkins abused a 13-year-old girl in 1945.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.