October 5, 2020
By Colleen Heild
A former Catholic priest accused of committing “heinous” sexual acts against children in New Mexico decades ago has died just weeks before he was to go on trial for the first-degree sexual abuse of a girl at the Queen of Heaven grade school in Albuquerque.
His death last week in northern New Mexico, where he had been released on his personal recognizance pending trial, was confirmed by the state Attorney General’s Office on Monday.
The pending criminal prosecution by Attorney General Hector Balderas’ office was expected to cap decades of civil allegations by more than 38 people, both men and women, who said they had been sexually abused by Griego as children and minors. His trial was set to begin Nov. 16.
“We are disappointed that the survivors of his abuse will not get their day in court, but our office will continue to hold institutions and those in positions of power accountable for their abuses in these cases,” said AG chief counsel Matt Baca.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.