The Patch [Chicago IL]
March 31, 2021
By Mark Konkol
Two men who claim St. Sabina’s activist priest the Rev. Michael Pfleger sexually abused them in the 1970s took lie-detector tests.
Two men who say St. Sabina’s activist priest, the Rev. Michael Pfleger, of sexual abuse in the 1970s have taken lie-detector tests in hopes of strengthening their accusations.
On Tuesday, Attorney Eugene Hollander also told WLS AM 890 morning show host Bruce St. James the brothers who are now in their 60s “wanted to use every means at their disposal to get the truth out there and show the St. Sabina community, the Archdiocese of Chicago and the independent review board that they’re telling the truth,” about their claims Pfleger assaulted them in the 1970s.
Hollander said the victims also want Pfleger to submit to a lie-detector test.
“We want Father Pfleger to tell the truth here,” he said. “We want him to submit to a polygraph exam.”
Pfleger’s attorneys told the Tribune the call for the lie-detector test is “just the latest unscrupulous activity for Mr. Hollander and his clients to get more money and publicity.”
Hollander also told WLS AM 890 that a fourth man has accused Pfleger of sexual abuse.
“We have not just the brothers, but a third victim has come forward and said that he was sexually assaulted by Father Pfleger,” Hollander said on the morning show. “Additionally, I’ve been in communication with the Chicago Police Department, a detective, who told me there is in fact a fourth victim who made a complaint to DCFS and it was turned over to the Chicago Police Department.”
Pfleger has said he is innocent of the sex abuse charges levied against him.
“I am innocent of the charges made against me and continue to believe [the Archdiocese] review board and the Cardinal will see the truth, conclude that these uncorroborated allegations are unfounded and restore me to the ministry at St. Sabina,” Pfleger wrote in a letter to parishioners. “In the meantime I know that I cannot emotionally or spiritually continue to remain isolated in an apartment waiting for this Board to do its job … I will no longer wait in silence.”
Last month, St. Sabina officials accused the Archdiocese leaders of intentionally delaying its investigation of Pfleger, putting the South Side parish’s finances and future in jeopardy.
“Many donors are pulling away due to this uncertainty. To date, we have lost $500,000 in previously committed funds to our community outreach programs. Donors have expressed their distrust, not in [Father] Pfleger, but in this investigation process and they are holding funds waiting to see if [Father] Pfleger returns,” St. Sabina officials said in a statement.