Pacific Daily News [Hagåtña, Guam]
November 2, 2022
By Haidee Eugenio Gilbert
An insurance company is appealing the recently confirmed reorganization plan for the Archdiocese of Agana, which could delay the church’s exit from bankruptcy.
It could also delay the payouts to more than 270 men and women who say they were abused as children by Guam priests and others associated with the Catholic Church.
Continental Insurance Co. on Tuesday notified the U.S. District Court of Guam that it is appealing to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, challenging a final order confirming the archdiocese’s reorganization plan.
Continental, an archdiocese insurer, has been challenging abuse-related contribution claims. It previously called for the nonconfirmation of the plan.
The insurance firm’s notice of appeal comes days after U.S. District Court of Guam Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood issued an Oct. 20 written order confirming the fifth amended joint plan of reorganization for the archdiocese.
During plan confirmation hearings in October, attorneys for the archdiocese and its creditors told the judge that they and Continental Insurance reached a $1.75 million settlement agreement “in principle.”
That $1.75 million is a portion of the up to $15 million that the archdiocese and its creditors initially expected from Continental.
The court-confirmed archdiocese bankruptcy exit plan includes a $34 million to $101 million settlement with more than 270 survivors of Guam clergy sexual assaults, although archdiocese attorneys said the settlement could only be in the $34 million-$45 million range.
the confirmation of the Archdiocese’s bankruptcy reorganization plan.
Haidee Eugenio Gilbert/ PDN
Haidee Eugenio Gilbert can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.