CHICAGO (IL)
WGN-TV [Chicago IL]
August 19, 2026
By Jeremy Ross
Supporters of Father Michael Pfleger rallied outside the Chicago Archdiocese on Wednesday.
Last month, a letter was sent to the archdiocese describing an allegation against Pfleger. It accuses him of the sexual abuse of a minor female that occurred more than 30 years ago.
The archdiocese and its independent review board began an investigation and said that, because of the allegation, Father Pfleger will step aside from ministry and live away from the parish during this process.
Pfleger faced similar allegations over the last five years. In all of those cases, the Church cleared him of any wrongdoing or deemed the claims unfounded.
In a statement, the archdiocese said:
“We are committed to following the same thorough and impartial process. No one in the church should think they are entitled to special treatment because of their position, especially in the matter of keeping kids safe. Staying true to our independent review process is the right thinf to do and we will not be pressured into giving special treatment to anyone.”
However, supporters say it has been weeks since Pfleger was removed, and they want him back.
Former State Senator Jacqueline Collins was among those who voiced support on Wednesday. Collins has worked on legislation protecting kids from abuse. While she said she is concerned for any victim, she noted that she is equally worried that the most recent allegation could be a legal cash grab.
“After listening to the victims who came to me, I extended the statute of limitations. The person who supported me in that legislation was Father Pfleger and the victims of sexual abuse,” Collins said. “The most opposition came from the Catholic Conference of Illinois.”
The former senator also noted that Pfleger’s stance on various issues has lessened his popularity with many.
Father Pfleger has not been formally charged with any crime. WGN News reached out to the community leader for comment, but has not yet received a response. He has previously denied these allegations.
The archdiocese has not yet commented on when it will complete its investigation.
