Fr. Peter A. Burns
Diocese: Archdiocese of Milwaukee WI
A woman complained to police and church in 1987 that her son had been abused during sleepovers at the St. Peter Claver Parish rectory in Sheboygan during Burns’ first and only assignment. Burns pleaded no contest in 1992 to charges he molested another youth and was sentenced to 9 months in jail and 10 years probation. Civil suit filed in 1993; settled in 1994. One victim died by suicide in the 1990s. At least one other victim known. Laicized per Archdiocese website list updated as of 11/26/07. On Sex Offender Registry.
- Archdiocese of Milwaukee Assignment Record
- BA.org Assignment Record
- Capital Times 01.22.92
- Chicago Tribune 01.23.92
- Wisconsin State Journal 11.06.93
- Wisconsin State Journal 01.26.94
- Dallas Morning News 06.12.02
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 07.10.04
- Milwaukee Archdiocesan Website (updated 1 01.26.07
- Statement by Archdiocese of Milwaukee 0 10.09.09
- Archdiocese of Milwaukee List of Clergy Offenders 03.03.12
Return to main database page. See abbreviations and posting policy. Send corrections.
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.