Fr. Juan Carlos Castano-Mejia
Diocese: Diocese of Charleston SC
Priest of The Oratory of St. Philip Neri in Ipiales, Colombia. Arrived in U.S. in 1999; investigated before being granted visiting priest status. Arrested and indicted 4/02 on charges that he abused a 4-year-old girl in 2000. She told her brother who told another relative. Incident was not reported to diocese until 2002. In 4/03, he admitted fondling the child and was sentenced to 2 years in jail, 2 years probation, and required to pay restitution. There may have been similar allegations in South America. On Charleston diocese’s list 3/29/19. Deported after release from prison. On the Charlotte diocese’s list 12/29/19.
- Diocese of Charlotte Assignment Record 12.29.19
- The Herald (Rock Hill, SC) 03.05.02
- Charlotte Observer 03.05.02
- Charlotte Observer 03.07.02
- Kansas City Star 07.12.02
- The Herald (Rock Hill, SC) 04.12.03
- Charlotte Observer 04.12.03
- Post and Courier 02.28.04
- Diocese of Charleston List 03.29.19
- Diocese of Charlotte List 12.29.19
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.