Fr. Henry N. Dunkel
Diocese: Archdiocese of Dubuque IA
Publicly accused in letters to the Telegraph Herald editor in the 1990s and 2000s. Accused of abuse of several girls, including his own nieces, in 1947-48 during his first assignment. Retired in 1990. Dunkel’s priestly activities were restricted in 1992. Died 1998. At least one accuser settled in 1993 under a gag order. She and two others filed suit in 2002 to void the gag orders. That case was dismissed in 2004.
- Archdiocesan Report on Assignments and Other Info 9.22.06
- Big Spring Herald (TX) 11.23.52
- Telegraph Herald (Dubuque) 11.18.02
- Sioux City Journal 01.06.06
- Telegraph Herald 01.06.06
- Telegraph Herald 03.07.06
- Telegraph Herald 0 06.06.08
- Telegraph Herald 0 06.09.08
- Minnesota SNAP Announcement 07.18.10
- Telegraph Herald 09.26.10
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.