Fr. Thomas A. Evatt
Diocese: Diocese of Charleston SC
Placed on leave in 5/02 after accused of performing a lewd act on a boy, age 9, during a rectory overnight stay in 1977. The alleged victim told his father in 1991 and informed police and Diocese in 2002. Evatt said the 1977 incident was a “singular horrible event” that never happened again. Trial pending in 7/03 when Evatt was found dead in his home 7/18/03. Death ruled accidental, due to massive blood loss when Evatt cut his leg on a piece of furniture. Alcohol abuse contributed to his death. On diocese’s list 3/29/19.
- Augusta Chronicle (GA) 05.27.02
- Augusta Chronicle (GA) 05.29.02
- Post and Courier 05.30.02
- Augusta Chronicle (GA) 05.30.02
- Post and Courier 05.31.02
- Augusta Chronicle (GA) 05.31.02
- Augusta Chronicle (GA) 06.18.02
- Augusta Chronicle (GA) 07.19.03
- Catholic Miscellany 07.24.03
- Diocese of Charleston List 03.29.19
Return to main database page. See abbreviations and posting policy. Send corrections.
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.