Fr. Chester E. Gaiter
One of four priests included in $140K settlement of a lawsuit in 4/07. Abuse is alleged to have occurred in 1985-1987 at Cardinal Ritter High School. Gaiter “retired from the priesthood” in 1993 or 1994 after exhibiting signs of alzheimer’s disease. Another suit filed 11/07, settled early 2009. Last known to be living at St. Louis University’s Jesuit Hall. Died 8/14/10 at age 70. On Jesuits’ Central and Southern Province’s list 12/7/18.
- Belleville News-Democrat 04.19.07
- St Louis Post Dispatch (AP) 04.19.07
- Kansas City Star (AP) 04.20.07
- St Louis Post-Dispatch 06.10.07
- St Louis American 06.13.07
- St Louis Post Dispatch 11.22.07
- St Louis American 05.13.09
- JesuitsMissouri_org website accessed 02.11.11
- Jesuit_org Website accessed 02.11.11
- Berger’s Beat 08.05.13
- Jesuits Central and Southern Province List 12.07.18
- Belleville News Democrat 12.08.18
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.