Br. Rene Gallant
“Br. Charlie.” Died 7/23/75. Accused of abuse of at least 28 individuals. Claims were included in Jesuit’s $166M settlement in 2011 with over 500 plaintiffs. Named as among the ten most prolific abusers in the settlement. Multiple plaintiffs alleged abuse by him at St. Ignatius Mission on the Flathead Indian Reservation in 9/11 civil suit against the Ursuline order and Helena diocese, filed by 45 people against four nuns, six priests and one religious brother. Gallant was assigned to St. Ignatius Mission 1940-75. Included on the Helena diocese’s list posted to its website 4/29/15 in compliance with the non monetary terms of the 3/5/15 bankruptcy settlement. On the Jesuits West Province list 12/7/18. It notes multiple allegations reported in 2009 of abuse spanning three decades.
- PCVA Press Release 03.25.11
- Indian Country Today Media Network 08.18.11
- The Missoulian 09.27.11
- John Does 1-16 et al v Ursuline Sisters, Diocese of Helena, et al, Cause No ADV-2011-936, Montana First Judicial District Court, Lewis & Clark County, 10.03.11
- Press Release from Kosnoff Fasy 01.31.14
- Missoula Independent 03.27.14
- Diocese of Helena List 04.29.15
- Jesuits West Province List 12.07.18
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.