Fr. Stephen Kain
Named in a 2004 civil suit as having assaulting at least one student at St. Anthony Seminary. Two suits filed in Fall 2009. On the Franciscans’ Santa Barbara Province list 5/31/19. It notes allegations reported in 1993, 2004, 2006 and 2008 of the sexual abuse of minors 1981-87. Removed from ministry in 1993, living under restrictions. On the Oakland diocese’s list in 2019. Included on the Diocese of Fresno’s 8/21 list of credibly accused, where he was assigned 1974-76.
- John Roe 4 vs Does, Cause No 1156450, Superior Court of California
- Ernesto C v Franciscans, Cause No 1337577, Santa Barbara Co Superior Court 10.05.09
- Clover v Franciscans, Cause No 1338070, Santa Barbara Co Superior Court 11.03.09
- KQED-TV 10.13.18
- Santa Barbara Province Franciscans List 05.31.19
- Diocese of Oakland List 06.01.19
- Diocese of Fresno List accessed 01.17.22
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.