Fr. Matthew H. Kelly
Diocese: Archdiocese of Los Angeles CA
Parishioners complained of Kelly’s behavior as early as 1970. He was transferred to two other parishes before he retired 1989. Named in 2003 and 2004 lawsuits. At least 7 plaintiffs alleged abuse as boys in the 1960s-1970s at a cabin in the Santa Ynez Mountains. Died 4/05/02. Claims included in massive $660M L.A. archdiocese settlement of 7/07.
- LA Archdiocesan Report Addendum 11.15.05
- LA Times Database 04.20.06
- LA Archdiocesan Report Errata Notice # 1
- John Roe 4 vs Does, Cause No 1156450, Superior Court of California
- Associated Press 11.26.03
- Santa Barbara Independent 12.25.03
- LA Archdiocesan Report 02.17.04
- Associated Press 03.20.04
- Santa Barbara News-Press 09.27.04
- Santa Barbara Independent 09.06.07
- Santa Maria Sun 10.03.18
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.