Br. Augustine W. Ludwig
Professed vows as a Marianist brother in 1949, Province of the Pacific. Worked in schools from Hawaii to Virginia. Accused of abuse of at least 5 teenage boys while principal at DeSales Catholic School in Spokane in the 1970s. Four cases settled; files sealed. Left the Marianists in 1980. Joined the Benedictines in 1983. Ordained for the Benedictines in 1987. Worked in Richmond, Virginia diocese until 1998 when one of his accusers learned where he was and notified the diocese. One claim settled for $30K in 4/04. Died 12/30/07. On Richmond diocese’s list 2/13/19. It notes he “abandoned ministry.” On the Marianists’ list of accused 6/24/20.
- Spokesman Review 03.04.01
- Dallas Morning News’ Bishop Database 06.12.02
- Spokesman Review 04.20.04
- Walla Walla Union-Bulletin 08.27.05
- Spokesman Review 05.04.07
- Spokesman Review 05.05.07
- Statement from Diocese of Spokane 11.21.07
- Bliley Funeral Homes Obituary 12.30.07
- Diocese of Spokane List of Admitted, Proven or Credibly Accused Perpetrators of Sexual Abuse 11.03.09
- Diocese of Richmond List 02.13.19
- News Channel 6 02.13.19
- Marianists US Province List 06.24.20
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.