Fr. Edmund C. Micarelli
Diocese: Diocese of Providence RI
Removed from ministry 4/17/90. A civil suit filed 1993 and six filed in 1995 alleged that Micarelli abused at least seven boys, one for seven years. Suits claim Bishop Gelineau and Auxiliary Bishop Angell knew of Micarelli’s behavior prior to 1962. Claims against MIcarelli were settled in 9/02 as part of a $13.5M settlement involving 36 victims. Per 2007 article Micarelli was living in Florida and “cannot function as a priest.” A 2012 article references his involvement in the Boy Scouts and his cover-up of at least one abuser. On the diocese’s list 7/1/19.
- Diocese of Providence Assignment Record
- BA.org Assignment Record
- Providence Journal Bulletin 07.03.94
- Providence Journal 09.10.02
- Website: Catholic Scouters & Sexual Abuse, 11.30.07
- Kent County Times 11.30.07
- Providence Journal 12.03.07
- Documents regarding Micarelli as referenced in the LA Times article of 09.16.12
- LA Times 09.16.12
- Providence Journal 10.18.12
- Westerly Sun 10.20.12
- Diocese of Providence List 07.01.19
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.