Fr. Joseph I. Patnode
Diocese: Archdiocese of Dubuque IA
In 2003 a man said he and at least 9 other other teenage boys were sexually abused by Patnode in the 1930’s, 40’s and early 50’s. Patnode was removed from his parish assignment and transferred to Sisters of Mercy Novitiate in Iowa in 1951. Retired 1964, died 12/30/77. At least 1 claim included in $2.6M settlement with Archdiocese 3/07 and at least 1 in 8/13 $5.2M out-of-court settlement involving 10 priests and 26 victims.
- Archdiocesan Report on Assignments and Other Info 9.22.06
- Archdiocese of Dubuque – Table of Accused Priests and Assignment Records 08.01.13
- Telegraph Herald (IA) 06.18.03
- Cedar Rapids Courier 09.27.05
- Sioux City Journal 01.06.06
- Telegraph Herald 03.06.06
- Telegraph Herald 03.07.06
- Des Moines Register (AP) 03.28.07
- Dyersville Commercial 08.28.13
- WCF Courier 08.28.13
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.