Fr. Claude Riffel
A suit filed in 2/09 alleged abuse of a youth at St. Francis Minor Seminary in Troutdale, OR in the early 1960s. Riffel was dean of discipline for the school and would allegedly call the teenager out of class to abuse him. Also believed to have abused in Santa Barbara, CA 1941-42 and 1975-76. Died in 1977. On the Santa Barbara Province Franciscans’ list 5/31/19. On the Las Cruces diocese’s list 6/24/19, where he was assigned in 1968.
- Oregon Live (AP) 02.11.09
- San Jose Mercury News 02.11.09
- Ernesto C v Franciscans, Cause No 1337577, Santa Barbara Co Superior Court 10.05.09
- Clover v Franciscans, Cause No 1338070, Santa Barbara Co Superior Court 11.03.09
- Santa Barbara Province Franciscans List 05.31.19
- Diocese of Las Cruces List Updated 06.24.19
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.