Fr. Vance Zebulon Thorne
Accused of abuse of one person in early 1970s per the LA archdiocesan report in 2004. Also worked in the Dioceses of Austin TX (1961-1971), Jackson MS (1980-1987), and Trenton NJ. At least 3 civil suits and 2 criminal indictments filed 1986-1987 in MS. One plaintiff claimed abuse by Thorne 1980-1986 beginning when he was age 14 in at Holy Ghost church in the Jackson diocese. Another man alleged abuse at the same parish as a 9-year-old boy. Thorne died in 11/2004. On the Jackson diocese’s list 3/19/2019. It notes alleged abuse in 1986 reported same year, removed from the diocese in 1987. Included on the Order’s Southern, Western, and Chicago Provinces lists of credibly accused.
- United Press International 03.04.87
- United Press International 06.30.87
- LA Archdiocesan Report 02.17.04
- Philadelphia Inquirer 12.03.04
- City of Angels 11.23.08
- Our Weekly 11.28.08
- Diocese of Jackson List 03.19.19
- Society of the Divine Word Western Province List 2021
- Society of the Divine Word Chicago Province List 02.26.24
- Society of the Divine Word Southern Province List 02.26.24
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.