AUCKLAND (NEW ZEALAND)
New Zealand Herald
October 26, 2020
By Elizabeth Binning
A former Catholic priest who has apologised for sexually abusing young boys at Rosmini College won’t be charged due to his age and the fact he now lives in England.
William Jackson was questioned by police in 2018 following allegations he abused four boys during his time at the Auckland Catholic boys’ school in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
The former music and religious studies teacher, who was known as Brother Jackson then and went on to become Father Jackson, was sent to New Zealand in 1968 — despite having abused a young boy at a school in Tanzania two years earlier.
The 78-year-old has told police and the Kiwi victims he doesn’t remember touching anyone — but apologised for the “ugly events” anyway.
“I personally have no clear recollection of what happened but I do believe your account of my sexual abuse in your regard,” he said in a letter to one victim last year.
“I feel terrible that you remember me as the cause of your suffering.
“There is little I can do to heal your painful memories, except to deeply apologise for what I did …”
The Church has also apologised for the harm caused by Jackson and paid one victim $30,000 in compensation for his “terrible experience”.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.