PORT OF SPAIN (TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO)
Trinidad and Tobago Newsday
March 31, 2021
By Laurel V. Williams
The RC Archdiocese of Port of Spain has cleared a priest of allegations made against him by a woman.
On Tuesday, the archdiocese issued a public notice, which it shared on its social media accounts, including Twitter and Facebook.
It said further to the publication of an online video making allegations against the RC priest, what it described as an independent investigation by a team of professionals had been carried out, and a detailed report submitted.
“The investigation has found there to be no evidence to support or substantiate the claims made in the video,” the notice said.
“The Church is concerned for the well-being of all people involved and will continue to provide prayerful support. Gratitude is extended to the persons who assisted in the investigations.”
A woman in a video which began circulating on social media a few weeks ago accused the priest of getting her fired “for no reason.” The woman claimed she had worked as a security guard at a church in south Trinidad.
She also accused the priest of misbehaviour. The woman said she opted to remain quiet at first once he did not interfere with her job, but decided to reveal his “secret” after she was fired.
Newsday visited the parish on Wednesday, but parishioners declined to speak on the issue and referred all questions to the parish office or priest. Newsday was told that the priest was not present.
Newsday later spoke to him by phone and he said he was in a meeting at the time, but promised to make a statement afterwards.