Fr. Owen da Silva
A man filed a 2004 amended pleading in his civil suit against Fr. Matthew Kelly alleging that at least 31 clergymen abused youths in Santa Barbara, CA and at St. Anthony’s Seminary. Pleadings name da Silva as the first Santa Barbara perpetrator of child sexual assault and says that he abused an altar boy in 1936-37 at the seminary. The source cited is a statement by the alleged victim. Fr. da Silva died in 1967. Reportedly, most of the priests mentioned in the article are Franciscans. On the Santa Barbara Province Franciscans list 5/31/19. On the Las Cruces diocese’s list 6/24/19, where he worked 1957-64. (Name misspelled de Silva).
- John Roe 4 vs Does, Cause No 1156450, Superior Court of California
- Santa Barbara News-Press 09.27.04
- First Amended Complaint in Cunningham v Franciscans, Cause No 1265207, Santa Barbara Superior Court, CA 08.06.08
- Ernesto C v Franciscans, Cause No 1337577, Santa Barbara Co Superior Court 10.05.09
- Clover v Franciscans, Cause No 1338070, Santa Barbara Co Superior Court 11.03.09
- Santa Barbara Province Franciscans List 05.31.19
- Diocese of Las Cruces List Updated 06.24.19
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.