Several who settled said they are still seeking an apology from the diocese.
Maine’s Catholic diocese has settled more than 100 claims brought by people who said they were sexually abused as children by clergy.
Roughly half of the claims were covered by a seven-figure payout, according to one lawyer for the plaintiffs, who were represented by four firms. They declined to share a specific amount.
“This process has brought life-changing validations after decades of institutional silence and concealment,” attorney Michael Bigos said.
Lawyers said on Thursday that, despite repeated requests, the diocese has not apologized to dozens of people who have reported past abuse by clergy.
In a statement published online last month, announcing that some settlements had been reached, Bishop James Ruggieri said they were “intended to acknowledge, in a tangible way, consistent with our resources and obligations, the seriousness of what has been reported and…
View Cache